In April 2012, as part of our commitment to prepare every student for lifelong success, the Somerville School Committee adopts the following goals for 2012-2014:
Goal 1: Improve student achievement by meeting the following annual targets:
- Achieve a minimum District-wide student growth percentage (SGP) average of 55 and implement intervention measures for any student who does not meet this standard.
- Reduce the achievement gap by 10%.
- Increase Math MCAS scores by 10%.
- Increase the number of students ranking Proficient and Advanced on MCAS by 10% in all subgroups.
- Improve the graduation rate by 10%.
Goal 2: Promote innovations designed to improve student performance.
- Provide support and guidance to schools interested in exploring alternative innovation plans or conversion to an Innovation School.
- Ensure that the Healey Unification Plan is fulfilled as developed by the Healey School Council and the School Committee.
Goal 3: Develop stronger home-school connections.
- Improve engagement with parents/guardians of English Language Learners and with immigrant communities.
- Improve engagement with parents/guardians who are not yet involved in the schools.
Goal 4: Increase engagement with the community to improve student learning.
- Leverage city resources to support targeted student improvement goals and initiatives.
- Strengthen community partnerships.
- Develop the capacity to engage the talents and skills of parents/guardians and community members.
The Superintendent and his administration, working together with the School Committee, will add strategies, programs, and initiatives under each of these goals in order to accomplish them. To monitor progress on these goals, you can go to the Somerville Public Schools website,